No right click

Thursday, 18 July 2013

Technology . . . The other side of the coin . . .

Yesterday noon Seattle time, the Microsoft conference ended and Dennis was in the hotel until 4pm, waiting for the shuttle to bring him to the airport. Short before that, midnight our time here, I went to bed and it was said that as always he would text me from the plane.

Well he did text me at 2:30 am, only to tell me that there was a technical fault and his flight had been cancelled. Moreover, British Airways was saying there wouldn't be another plane available before 2 to 3 days. Kind of cold shower. He was in a queue to the information desk with some other 500 people, also desperate to go back home and the queue wasn't moving a centimeter.

He said he was trying to look for a hotel ( BA had said every thing was booked and they would have to stay in the airport) and asked if I could check for any other flight to bring him home.

So here I was, half awake, in front of my computer, trying to book a flight and not forget that where he was it was 8 hours less than here and it wasn't the 18 of July but only the 17.

Well, if we needed another confirmation of it, we did really great as a team, even separated by thousands of miles, because within an hour, I had booked a flight with another company ( not direct, though) and he had found a hotel. I went back to bed at 4, but I was too upset to sleep and anyway I had to be up at 7:30 because the acupuncture lady was coming for Rhea.

As I write hubby is still sleeping (5 am in Seattle) and should make his way to the airport only in a couple of hours to arrive here tomorrow if all goes to plan.

So technology really has 2 sides and when it doesn't work, it really can be a mess.




Lucky Snapping Nostalgia Challenge - July : Food Glorious Food

I think I have as many good as bad memories regarding food. My mum always wanted us to eat what we had in our plate and if we didn't finish, we were getting it back until we had eaten it, in the afternoon, for diner . . . This, you guessed is part of the bad memories.

Her argument was that she wanted us to eat everything and not be fussy, but it ended up exactly the opposite for me. I am not difficult to please, pasta every day is fine, but there are so many things I don't like : cucumber, sardines, celery, milk soup . . .  you don't want to know lol and it all comes from the fact that as a kid I made this pact with myself, that as an adult I never ever would eat again all these things I hated. I surely managed it.

The funny memories : Some days, my mum used to spend a lot of time in buying fresh ravioli and prepare them with a home made tomato sauce. I am sure it was delicious, but when she was too busy and she bought a tin, my brother and I used to be over the moon because we preferred the tin ones. Of course my mum wasn't happy about that.

We also used to tell her that her French fries were good but the ones of my Godmother were better. I suppose it was just that the grass is always greener somewhere else but boy what she went through with us lol.

When thinking about nice food, I have 2 great memories immediately popping in. On Sunday afternoon, my dad used to watch football on TV, my mum was knitting and I was coloring or so. At 4pm, we used to make a hot chocolate and dip ( yes, I am French) some pieces of fresh baguette bread covered with butter. It was paradise. I still have the taste in my mouth and I am still mad that in England it doesn't taste 10% of it.

The other one is a kind of cake my mum used to do for our birthdays. I think she did it for me until I left home at 24 or so. She took a big plate, spread some melted chocolate, then took some kind of digestive biscuits (but they were shaped as a rectangle) dipped in a bit of water and made a base, then more chocolate, more biscuits and so on with chocolate covering the top and the sides. The cake could reach 6 or 7 biscuits high on 5 by 4. Then it was going to the fridge. When taken out, it was the most delicious thing you can imagine, half melting, half crispy. Ahhh why did I leave home ???

Take care everybody, xxx
  

5 comments:

KathiJo said...

mmm, that sounds like a pre-runner to 'fridge cake' or a kind of Tiffin! well done on using technology to your best advantage, I love logistic puzzles like that but I am always afraid I will make a bad choice!
have a nice weekend.

JoyJoy said...

I'm glad you were able to help your hubby get home. Airlines and traveling can be so frustrating at times. Your cake sounds interesting. Since I am not sure what 'digestives' are, I probably would need to see it to understand. Hope Rhea does well with her acupuncture.

viv said...

So glad you could sort out flights for Dennis.
Your memories have reminded me of one of my own memories I had forgotten about. Thank you

Lynne said...

Glad Dennis is now winging his way home to you as I write xx

I too think that cake counds like Tiffin cake very rich and yummy!!

Off to blog this pm as the sun is behind clouds todat and so a little cooler!!

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for technology and the knowledge on how to use it. Cake sounds yummy. xx