This morning we woke up to a very grey but dry sky. We took our time and had breakfast in front of the TV, watching the news. When the weather report came up, the massive amount of rain predicted certainly helped to have us speeding things up a bit.
I went to the park with Bubbles and Dennis stayed home to cuddle Rhea.
You remember what the Vet said about the emergency wheelbarrow solution for Rhea ? We are off now to try and find a practical one. What we don't do for the girls . . .
Project 365+1 - Day 240: Free choice
Since I was little, I always had a passion for oaks. I was impressed by the fact they can be so big and strong, but I also loved the acorns because of their little cupules. I was cutting the twig below them and they became perfect little bowls my dolls could use to drink with their friends.
I wouldn't say I spent my life looking at acorns, but the photo i took this morning really puzzled me.
What is this "thing" on the top of it ? I hardly believe it's part of
the tree development and I would have missed that for the past 50 years.
Is it a disease or parasite ? If so it must be a British one as I never
saw that in France or Germany. But again may be I was just blind.
If anybody knows, I would be very interested to learn about it.
Take care everybody, xx

6 comments:
grey and horrid here too :( i had a thought about your wheelbarrow.. rather than one of those how about getting a garden trolley?? theyre flat, some can be folded up and you wouldnt have to cause rhea additional pain by scooping her into the shape of the wheelbarrow? plus the garden trolleys have four wheels, so give a smoother ride.. some even have a shallow rail around to stop her from accidentally toppling out? urgh its sad talking about this, but im making myself believe were talking "doggy wheelchair" here to make it easier.
As for the acorn.. looks like its sick.. maybe its all the pesticides that are used in the uk? might just be a freakish mutation, i doubt that that acorn would be viable to be fertilized and turn into an oak.
Very wet here all day. Yes, looks like that poor acorn is a bit of a mutant.
You picture is of a gall. It forms around the eggs of a gall wasp so the pupae are protected when they hatch out. They can live in the gall over winter and then eat their way out the next year. this one is called aknopper gall.
I knew it was a gall but I got the rest of the information from one of my reference books.
I didn't read about what the vet said about Rhea so I'll have to look back, but it looks like the poor love is really having problems. Hugs to you all
hope you managed to find something suitable for Rhea and what a strange photo of the acorn.
Good luck on Rhea's wheel/barrowchair.
Viv, wow, how interesting! I am intrigued!
(((hugs))) Anne, sorry to be awol. Louis' birthday, lost purse, broken (nay, dead) laptop, family bbq, dead charge on iphone.......
Glad the others have come up with some suggestions for your acorn, and hope Monday finds you hopeful to give Rhea a comfortable week.. x
Post a Comment