No right click

Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Last day

Yesterday was really hot so as soon as it was a bit cooler, Dennis and decided to have a small walk . It turned into a big walk and we ended up climbing the hill to Notre Dame de la Garde.

The isles on the left are where I used to do scuba diving. On the right is a narrowest house of Marseille.


A cruise ship passing by the Pharo Palace, Notre Dame de la Garde and a general view of old Harbour of Marseille. We should have gone higher for a better photo but we needed to go back to prepare diner.

The view from the top of the hill is beautiful and it reminded me when I was a little girl and we sat on that hill every July 14th in the evening to watch our National Day fireworks.

We saw a nice cat ( don't tell the girls ).


I am a bit in two minds today. We are leaving tomorrow morning. On one side it was too short, on the other one, it is just right for everybody. My parents have their habits, the way they do things to the centimeter, not that they are not happy to have us, but I think it's time they go back to their routine. It would have been easier in the week-end house, but here the flat is small and we are all walking on each other.

Mum is also very protective of Dad, should I say way too much over extra protective, LOL, so he kind of can't get up from a chair without her following him everywhere. She does everything for him and they "gently fight" because he doesn't want to be treated as an invalid. I tried to explain to her that she doesn't need to stress that way as it stresses him to, but she of course doesn't agree and telling this to my mum stresses my Dad too as although he doesn't agree with what she does, he then becomes protective of her.
63 years of Marriage ! ! !

They are certainly not going to change at 88 and 89, that's why I believe it's the right time for us to go and let them settle down again. It was a good trip anyway and it was lovely to see Dad.




Project 365+1 - Day 269 : Vivid

This word is really working for me today. Being back in the city where I was born and lived for 22 years certainly brings a lot of vivid memories.

This morning I brough Dennis to a local market where I used to go with my parents when I was little. I have great memories of the vegetables stalls but the best were the fish stalls. The smell brought me back 50 years ago, just as it was yesterday


We just came back, soaked with sweat as it is unbereably hot. I know we shouldn't complain as tomorrow morning will be a bad shock at home.

The contact with the French people wasn't too bad, but additionally to all the small things that I don't like in them ( guess why I live abroad ! ), they do drive on the wrong side of the road, lol ! ! !

PS: Borqna, the 3 laptops don't belong to Dennis, he works for different companies and they all gave him a laptop for confidentialiy issues ! 

Take care everybody, xxx
  

5 comments:

KathiJo said...

Ahhh Anne, that's such a good idea, Vivid memories, I hadn't thought of that yet..I so understand how it is to be transported back all those years and it is especially easy with places which have not changed, coastline, sea, fields etc.. it is harder in towns and on roads etc which sometimes change a lot!
Good call about coming home to the Uk and how lovely the way your parents rub along together in a way we cannot really tolerate or understand as outsiders.. sweet xx

Helen said...

lovely post, lol at your sweating and being too hot, I came back from the school run wet through- not from sweat, lol but soaked from the rain...so wet I got in the shower soon as I got home. You will miss the lovely weather you have been having when you come home. The stalls look lovely, I hate the smell of fish though

Unknown said...

Super photos today Anne, and bittersweet observations of your parents :D xxx

Lynne said...

Anne what Kathy says is so true and I hadn't thought of vivid memories either! She is right the time is right for you to come home and leave them with their routine and habits!

You will hate the weather back in the UK, it is terrible.

Safe journey both of you, the girls will be pleased to see you xxx

Alison Roots said...

So glad that you have been able to spend this time with your Mum and Dad and probably best that you do come back. How great though to be able to visit all your childhood memories, and in such a beautiful place.