No right click

Wednesday, 22 February 2012

The secret double meaning of words

The first time I went camping with my parents, I was barely 2 weeks old. It was in the French Alps, close to Briançon. We returned every year until I was 18 and even after I left home, I still used to join my parents there for a week during summer until they decided at 80 that it was time to stop with mountain climbing.

I believe it's one of the most gorgeous places on earth.


It is completely wild and the fauna and flora are absolutely beautiful.

These were my thoughts when I was in the park this morning. I was wondering why untouched places in the mountains automatically grow beautiful and colorful flowers.

The photo below was taken in a hidden corner of the park. All what grows there is this:


Why aren't beautiful wild flowers growing here? Is it because we are in a city or because humans spoil all that they touch?
 

Project 365+1 - Day 53: Ordinary

I believe words talk to us in two ways. The obvious one is their meaning but the other one is their name itself. We associate the name of a word with his meaning. I explain: You could call your cat Butterfly but probably not Cockroach.

Some words make me laugh, some make me sad, some scare me, some I just don't like.

My favourite word at the moment is Oxymoron. You would have asked me 1 month ago what it means I would have said it's probably describing a complete idiot. Well it happened that Sophie studied this word at school and talked about it during lunch, so I learnt a new English word !

If you don't know yet an oxymoron is a figure of speech in which contradictory terms appear side by side, like : almost perfect - clearly confused - Pretty ugly - found missing . . .

I came across that word again in a movie I recently saw and I was so happy to know the meaning that I was probably looking like Mr. Bean when he enters Harrods with his new American Express card.

Anyway, Oxymoron is a word that makes me laugh.

As of the word of today, that's another story.
I think it is Avril Lavigne who said something like "I'd rather be anything but ordinary". Ordinary doesn't sound like a nice word to me, neither name nor meaning. 

It is defined in Google as :
a. Of no exceptional ability, degree or quality - Average
b. Of inferior quality, second-rate

So basically, that's the kind of word you don't want to have anything to do with !

But after digging, I found an additional definition:  the usual or normal condition or course of events.
 

This one, I can live with, so this is my photo for today:


The normal course of events is that I keep throwing away my Euromillions ticket because it's never a winner.

Take care everybody, xxx

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hopefully next week will be THE week- good luck! I don't even buy tickets anymore.

The photo of the mountains is totally stunning.

cookcreateread said...

I love reading your daily thoughts Anne! I want to go camping in the Alps! Love your photo for today too - I do the lottery at work, only because I think how awful it would be if they all won and I was the only one who didn't play!

Totty Teabag said...

I didn't have a single number last night Anne, but last week I won €11, so I will keep trying. Your mountain photo is beautiful. My husband is Swiss, and he takes mountains for granted; the sea is his view of choice. I would far rather have a view of the mountains than the sea, and luckily for me, where I live I can see both; not the Alps by any means, but definitely mountains that sometimes have snow on top. As for wild flowers in your park; park keepers tend to see them as weeds I think, not as things of beauty. But still, even the humble bramble has flowers, if only for a few days, so all is not lost.

Lynne said...

I am like Suzie becoming addicted to your daily thoughts and extra photos. I seem to learn new things from you daily.
A beautiful photo from the Alps.

Can you believe, I have never bought a lottery ticket and never buy raffle tickets either!!

viv said...

I love reading your blog Anne. your photo of the swiss mountains is fantastic and you've even made the bramble beautiful.

We don't often do the euro lottery so I don't think we have any chance of winning

Unknown said...

As others have said, over the last few days Anne your blog has become one of the ones I look for. The time and attention you give, your very lovely and original thoughts are a blessing to me and I would be very sad now if I didn't have them to look for. Loving you already :)

Those views, oh my goodness wouldn't I love to tramp those hills. Or sit and look at them with a hot choc.

The lottery, well if i won it some would be heading your way to make sure the blog kept going at least :)