No right click

Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Good news

Yesterday the cardiologist passed by to see my Dad and he told him he could go back home this afternoon. He said that he had several strong extra systols that caused the heart not to be able to cope anymore and slow down as it did. I was worried he would need a pacemaker to be fitted but they think that for the time being the problem can be fixed with meds. I don't need to tell you how my Dad and Mum felt about the news !

I can't imagine when you have been married to somebody for 63 years how worried you can get when your partner feels poorly. It is so sad. It's back to what I was saying yesterday, it's like wishing it won't happen now whilst knowing it will happen one day anyway. I better talk about something else, it gives me the blues.

That's also a big relief for me although honestly I feel kind of empty, really tired and full of energy at the same time. I guess it's all the adrenaline packed during the past few days that sits there and doesn't have any use anymore. I started using the Zumba disks that Nicky kindly sent me and it surely calms me down a bit.

Dennis left very early this morning to visit his Dad in Wales. I hope we just overreacted, influenced by my Dad and that he is just a bit under the weather. He is a strong person actually. He got stomach cancer ( like my MIL ) when he was 85 and everybody thought that's it because he refused chemio. We feared he was too old to stand the operation but he went through it and not only that, he beat the cancer and got the all clear. So let's wait and see.

After Dennis left this morning, I needed to bring Rhea to the Vet for a blood test check on her Kidneys. We arrived there early. When I was installing the stairs and opening the back of the car to let her out, another car was parking. The lady opened the back door and there was a terrible noise coming out. I then recognized it was a duck. He was screaming for his life and got Rhea in a complete panic. They came in before us into the practice but when we also came in Rhea started panicking again. She didn't want to go on the scale because it was close to the duck, so the duck had to be moved, she didn't want to sit close to it, she didn't want to hear it . .  .

Then I signed all the papers. Normally the procedure is that we arrive at 8 am, I leave her there and they do what they need to do on all animals according to emergency order, then I get a call in the afternoon when I can pick her up. 

When they put a lead around her neck to take her to the back room, she was terrorized like she had never met them. She was in " run for your life " mode, she was fighting them, not wanting to leave me. It was terrible. I thought I might have to go away and come another day but it wouldn't be very good for her as it would have acknowledge that there is a reason to be scared.

They eventually managed to get her and asked me if instead of leaving her I could wait for her if they were taking blood immediately. I was more than happy to do that, so I got her back within 20 minutes.

This is the guilty duck !


Back home I gave Rhea breakfast and waited a bit that she recovers then we went to the park. It was sunny today and in the sun it was actually really hot, hot enough to get a sunburn.


I must say I only took one picture and only on our way back because I am kind of numb and completely forgot:




Project 365+1 - Day 199 : Busy

Our Vet surgery has an extremely good reputation for service, kindness and obviously excellent treatment so for many pet owners like me they are THE surgery to go to.

The photo below was taken this morning at around 8am when we arrived. The Vets parking is in the back so all these cars belong to customers. That gives you an idea of  how busy this surgery is.


Take care everybody, xxx
  

9 comments:

Borqna said...

Really good news! I like your new photos. Congratulations!
I was very glad to duck - very sweet.
Anne, found time for a healthy sleep and rested well.
hugs

KathiJo said...

Yes, it is good to know your Dad should soon be home, but I also understand that strange post-adrenalin feeling.. oh and that duck was so fun, not that Rhea thought so! Life is busy but so glad you find time to share with us every day! x

Unknown said...

Wonderful to hear your dad will be home soon.

Poor old Rhea with the duck!

Helen said...

good news about your dad, hope you FIL is ok too. Its always good when places like vets are busy early in the morning- you know they are doing something right! Well done on the photos, I like the sun in the puddle.

KathiJo said...

Just read your note on Bornqa's blog.. glad Dad is home xx

viv said...

I am so glad your dad is home and I do hope your FIL is not too ill.

Poor Rhea, she certainly had a bad fright, I hope she is OK now.

Unknown said...

Anne, can't stop for long, sorry, just wanted to say I'm so glad to hear your Dad is home (((hugs))) xxx

Lynne said...

Anne now reading backwards!!! So pleased your dad is going home and so sorry about the vets tests you really are going through a bad time so many (((hugs))) and love xxx

Lisa-Jane said...

Hi Anne, just catching up on your blog and your poorly father. I hope he is on the mend and that he is at least comfortable. Best wishes to you all xx