No right click

Thursday, 1 March 2012

Dogs are as bad as kids

It looks like I distressed some of you with my orange juice over cereals yesterday. Well it's not a French thing, it's a " me " thing, lol. I can't drink cold milk and cereals on their own are a bit boring. You actually should try it, it tastes absolutely delicious !

So many things happened yesterday after I put my post for the day, I thought I mention them.

First story, I went out to get a lottery lucky dip. I also bought 2 scratch cards and I won £36, that could have been part of my extraordinary !



The second one is funny now that it is over, but could have been bad. That's where my title comes from.

When I was around 6, two of my cousins (twins) came to live in Marseille. They were only a couple of months younger, so it was a lot of fun. My grandfather was living in the flat below ours, so we often met there when they were visiting. He had some old wooden chairs with a kind of false leather seat, decorated with massive nails whose head was half an inch. Our favourite game was to put one finger on a nail head. The only problem is that although there were probably 6 chairs and each chair had some 60 nails we all 3 wanted to put our finger on the same nail head and we were fighting tooth and nail about it.

On my wedding day, they offered me one if these nails, with the note "Now you can have your own one !"

Yesterday morning when we came back from the park, Rhea found a tennis ball and wanted to bring it back home. We have a bucket close to our front door with all the treasures she brings back from the park, pieces of wood, pine cones, old broken balls, so I said OK and she happily dropped it in the bucket when we arrived home.

In the afternoon, we went out for play time and I gave her ball to Bubbles, Rhea wanted to have the ball she found so she took it. That's when the problem started. What Rhea had found was a squeaky ball and I hadn't noticed. All the way to the park, she squeaked it without interruption and Bubbles Flying Saucer sized eyes were saying it all : She wanted it and I was on for trouble.

So for the following 15 minutes, that's what I got and you could hear them saying that :



Then I managed to interest Bubbles in her own ball by bringing her 10 meters away and keeping an eye on Rhea. 

Suddenly, this woman comes close to me with a pushchair and this little guy who must be 2 at most, starts running backwards in direction of Rhea. She calls him, the kid doesn't care. She says to me "well, he is not very obedient" and she waits.

How can somebody let his small child go close to an unknown dog even without asking the owner if it is OK, that's above me. I try to think quick but I am not sure what to do, as running to Rhea might tell her there is danger and she freaks out so easily. So I walk as calmly as I can towards them and say to the woman "at least make sure your child doesn't try to take her ball".

At that moment, what does he do? Put his fingers in Rhea's mouth and pulls the ball. It was like for my fall. I saw my all life passing in front of my eyes. I know my dogs and they are really sweet, but you never know what can happen. I though if she even stands, she might make him fall or worse and I will end up with a massive law suit for something I am not responsible of.

But before I can reach them both, my Golden girl opens her mouth and let the little boy take the ball. Bless her for that.

So I am now with Rhea and the child, Bubbles has joined us, but the mother is still 10 meters away. Before I can do anything, the little boy throws the ball and now you have my 2 massive dogs running for their life after this ball that they were fighting for. They manage to get on it at the same time and pull and eventually break it.

In the meanwhile, I still try to encourage this little boy to go back to his mum who is calling him non-stop, but still from 10 meters away. Some parents don't deserve having kids !

He eventually goes. I am still hyperventilating from being so scared by what could have happened, when I see one half of the ball in the grass and Rhea and Bubbles fighting for the other half.

I just saw red. I told them "we go back home now and the 1st one causing trouble doesn't get a biscuit". They both turned their back on the ball and tiptoed home as sweet as candy, as if nothing would have ever happened.

And it is supposedly relaxing and increasing your lifespan to bring dogs to the park ? Sometimes, yes !


Project 365+1 - Day 61: Grass

The other day DH and I were talking about new words or expressions entering a language. When I read the word this morning, I thought, that will be a job for the red whale.
5 minutes later, Nicky emailed me and said "have a nice walk in the park, I bet you are doing red whale impressions as I type ", so I'm not sure I will make it into the Oxford dictionary but you never know !

So I've been talking more than enough for today, so here is my grass photo and yes it was taken by the red whale:



Take care everybody and bless you for your patience if you read it all, xxx

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing photo of the grass.

Love the story about the 'girls' too. I agree it's amazing the amount of parents who let their little ones rush up to a strange dog. Unfortunately Holly would more likely be the one racing after someone else's toys- so always keep her on the other side of a pushchair!

Anonymous said...

love the photos. your girls sound better behaved than my 2.

Lynne said...

Great story and another peep with water on their grass too, we haven't had dew!!!!

Kristina said...

What a story - a real treat. You can tell me about disobedient kids and incompetent parents. Love the red whale expression. The photo is exactly the one I would so love to take myself.

Unknown said...

Well done Red Whale :) Great shot and great stories.
You really do have to wonder about some parents!!!

viv said...

I can't believe some parents these days as you said you might have been facing a law suit if anything had happened to the little boy. Your 2 were so well behaved - better than the child.

I love your photo, Anne.

Stellan's Garden said...

aww bless them... those girls are super troopers especially rhea..i think one big problem with goldies is that people have the "andrex advert" in mind and automatically assume that ALL goldies are placid. (i know from experience that that isnt always true, especially after irresponsible breeders have done horrible things to some of them) and i cannot for a second believe that this woman stayed there and watched her kid do that kind of thing. We taught our OWN kids, NEVER go near the dog when he has his toy or food in the mouth, its a number one lesson! unless you are the packleader you do not approach a dog to take something of him/her! i would have had a hard time staying cool, so well done you for being so calm and dealing with the situation the way you did. The worst thing is, now this woman will let the poor child walk up to more dogs and with the wrong breed, that WILL end in tears for everyone, but especially the dog! Even with cooper being as friendly and placid as he is, i always stop children from running at him and touching him, chances are hell be fine but what IF...

love your grass picture but what we really need is a red whale impression picture...

KathiJo said...

Love reading your blog Anne.. and then always a lovely pic Kathi x